By Lawrence S. Cunningham
- Refers to either famous saints, akin to Joan of Arc, and lesser-known figures just like the ‘holy fools’ within the Orthodox tradition
- Ranges over matters as different because the historical past of canonization approaches, the Reformation critique of the cult of saints, and the position of saints in different spiritual traditions
- Discusses the relevance of sainthood within the postmodern era
- Two appendices describe customer saints and the iconography of saints in art.
Read or Download A Brief History of Saints (Wiley Blackwell Brief Histories of Religion) PDF
Similar catholicism books
The 1st part is a straightforward to exploit pronunciation and translation advisor to the Latin Prayers of the Roman Catholic Church. the second one part offers an identical prayers, with no pronunciation and translation - in impression, a Latin Prayerbook.
What does the word ""making a retreat"" convey for your imagination? The quiet of a monastery? A hermitage deep within the woods?
After years of collaboration, research, and writing, The nationwide listing for Catechesis is now to be had. A better half to the final listing for Catechesis (GDC), the nationwide listing for Catechesis builds on a number of the center issues of the GDC, like catechesis's courting to evangelization and worship, and offers functional instruments for doing catechesis good.
Why have been the early Christians prepared to die to guard a unmarried iota of the creed? Why have the Judeans, Romans, and Persians—among others—seen the Christian creed as a danger to the demonstrated social order? within the Creed: Professing the religion during the a while, bestselling writer Dr. Scott Hahn recovers and conveys the creed’s progressive personality.
- Sacred Reading: The 2018 Guide to Daily Prayer
- St. Joan of Arc
- Contemplating the Future of Moral Theology: Essays in Honor of Brian V. Johnstone, CSsR
- Missions of Los Angeles (Images of America)
- T&T Clark Companion to Henri de Lubac (Bloomsbury Companions)
Extra resources for A Brief History of Saints (Wiley Blackwell Brief Histories of Religion)
A Brief History of Saints (Wiley Blackwell Brief Histories of Religion) by Lawrence S. Cunningham