By Peter Borsay
A background of Leisure
- explores a number of pursuits, from festive tradition and tune to tourism and sport
- emphasises a conceptual and important technique, instead of an easy narrative history
- covers quite a number subject matters together with economic system, country, type, identities, position, house and time
- treats the constituent components of the British Isles as a fluid and dynamic amalgam of neighborhood and nationwide cultures and polities.
Authoritative and fascinating, this article demanding situations traditional perspectives at the historical past of rest and indicates new techniques to the topic. Borsay attracts upon the insights supplied through a number of disciplines along that of historical past - anthropology, the humanities, geography and sociology - to supply an important consultant to this interesting sector of study.
Read Online or Download A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500 PDF
Similar sociology of sports books
We are living in a "museum age," and recreation museums are a part of this phenomenon. during this booklet, top foreign activity heritage students research game museums together with well known associations just like the Olympic Museum within the Swiss urban of Lausanne, the Babe Ruth Birthplace and Museum in Baltimore, the Marylebone Cricket membership Museum in London, the Croke Park Museum in Dublin, and the Whyte Museum in Banff.
Lately, activity has attracted huge recognition as a good technique of fighting such neighborhood and worldwide matters as battle and clash, poverty, ethnic reconciliation, and gender conflicts. recreation has been proven to be a good device or triggering gadget in comparison to the opposite improvement sectors, specially whilst donors can practice grassroots actions to the improvement contexts in considerate and carrying on with methods.
Video games among the Dodgers and Giants are by no means simply one other day on the ballpark. relationship again to the past due 19th centurywhen the groups embodied the aggressive spirit of rival metropolises of recent York and Brooklynthe Giants-Dodgers contention won depth during the early 20th century.
The essays during this quantity use soccer to create a discussion among historical past and different disciplines, together with artwork feedback, philosophy, and political technology. The research of soccer offers fertile flooring for interdisciplinary projects and this quantity explores the disciplinary barriers which are moving “beneath our toes.
- The Quality of Home Runs: The Passion, Politics, and Language of Cuban Baseball
- Der postmoderne Sport als Wechselspiel zwischen traditionellem und Trendsport: Eine Untersuchung ausgewählter Faktoren zur Analyse der gegenwärtigen und zukünftigen Entwicklung (German Edition)
- Positive Youth Development through Sport: second edition
- Ethics in Youth Sport: Policy and Pedagogical Applications (Routledge Studies in Physical Education and Youth Sport)
Additional resources for A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500
A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500 by Peter Borsay